Monday, February 27, 2012

Bonner's Journal-Day 12. SCI education

January 26. Day 12
More education on SCI
We are learning more from the medical staff about the common symptoms associated with a spinal cord injury

The doctors are telling us that they are not sure how much Hannah's bowel function and bladder control is hindered by the injury. They have already diagnosed a decrease in natural functioning, and they are fore-warning us of permanent damage. As they took us through a lengthy discussion about all the things to expect naturally, our faith has been severely tested.

Even though we greatly appreciate their in-depth knowledge, the possibility of permanent dysfunction has created a heavy realization on Hannah's mind and emotions. It has been especially difficult for her to battle shame when she has to endure the bowel program that the nurses have to administer in the evenings.

Equally difficult has been the pressing decision to face the immediate needs of family & work...my children have been with my parents for  almost two weeks, and I have a football program to manage.

Priorities have been made evident:

I am a son of God
I am a husband
I am a father
I am a football coach... in that order.

How does our family survive these tough times?
What can we possibly contribute to God's plan?

We will overcome as we maintain a balance of patience AND persistence. The secret is in "Doing" what He leads us to do, as we hold on patiently. Mostly, we are active in listening, preparing and learning, while resting in our circumstance. Our finite minds want the end result, and struggle to rest in adversity. It seems foolish to common thinking, but I know that something big lies on the other side of the trouble we are encountering.

But that what makes me different.
I am not a normal man, I am man of faith.
I believe what Jesus says.
If Jesus is not the healer that He says that He is, then my faith is worthless.


No comments:

Post a Comment