Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Bonnner's Journal-Day 8. 9th floor

Sunday January, 22. Day 8. 
On the 9th floor

It is interesting that there are two forces at work in our current situation. The further we have moved from the serious stages of this trial we are filled with a peace and knowing that God has us in His loving hand, yet the difficulty of each day increases

How could it get worse? 
I thought that this ordeal would lighten up once I found out she wasn't dead...but it has not.
In one aspect Hannah's future is better, in another it seams very bleak, almost overwhelming.
I am truly expecting a complete "rise up and walk" miracle each day, yet I am committed to endure patiently no matter how long the healing process may take.



 Our journey is far from over

Being on the 9th floor provided the biggest challenge so far.  I was not allowed to stay with her as I was permitted in the ICU, which proved to be the most damaging factor to Hannah's progress thus far. No matter how many times I pleaded for them to allow me to stay they forced me to leave from 9 pm to 8 am her first night. I will never forget the helpless look in my wife's eyes as I regretfully said goodbye to her for the first time since her injury. 

She wept.
She explained to me that she was afraid that she was being left in a new room, with a new nursing staff, and with absolutely no way to help herself. Her paralysis was literally imprisoning her. 


How I turned my back on her, and walked out of that room, I do not know.

When I arrived in the morning she had digressed. She was worse off than she was when I left her the night before. The fact that she was sharing a room, plus the continual noise of the monitors and active nurses caused Hannah to actually lose progress. 
After a family friend, who is a doctor, spoke to the nursing staff on the 9th floor we were allowed to stay with Hannah for the duration of the day and night. Another favor from God that helped us overcome the hurdles that kept coming.
 
In an attempt to move forward with Hannah's progress I began to do physical therapy exercises as I was instructed by the medical staff. It is surprising how aggressive the medical interventions are for a spinal cord injury, as compared to the methods of a few decades ago. The importance of immediately moving the SCI patient is critical in "retraining" the neuro-pathways, and because of this understanding people are getting well much faster than before. We were told that in the past the patient was commonly placed on a bed and not moved for a year or so, long enough for the swelling around the cord to reduce, and whatever that person could do after a year was their fate in life. Not so for Hannah. In just three days from surgery she began her movement training. Very painful, but necessary.

I believe that God sent the exact care team that we needed. Each one of them was a messenger of light, when we were in a dark place. An example of one of God's assignments was a Physicians Assistant that monitored Hannah. She became a major source of faith for Hannah and I. She gently shared her own personal victory over paralysis and gave Hannah great hope.  

I have heard it said that hope (expectation) paints the picture for your coming victories.
I have heard it said that hope (expectation) is the breeding ground for a miracle.
Today our first born son Bladen called my cell and carefully explained to me that God had sent him a dream in the night. He dreamed that his mother was healthy, healed and whole, and was in front of our home with a new car!

The report of our son's dream agreed with what God had said...FULL RECOVERY!


I BELIEVE


4 comments:

  1. We are praying with great expectation! Praise God for His undying love and faithfulness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JESUS!! Bless Hannah with your peace and strength.. Thank you for your Mercy and Love. Thank you that you are our healer and you are restoring Hannah.. You are blessing her because of your love and mercy. You are good and we bless your Holy Name. I pray that Hannah will lye down and sleep peace... for you alone Oh Lord make her dwell in safety.. You alone will comfort her you are her portion you are her deliverer you are her help in time of need. Thank you! for your love and mercy.. pour out your love on my sister.. keep the twinkle in her eye, the laughter in her heart. Keep her in the palm of your hand. Bless you dear family. Love Mike, Kristi, Tim, Jeremy and Katelyn

      Delete
    2. If you need anything please let us know. 556-658-1708

      Delete