Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Bonner's Journal-Day 5. Surgery

Thursday, January 19th. Day 5
Surgery

Being that the neurosurgeon was not pleased with the results of the steroid medication on the swelling inside the spinal cavity, he suggested that we pursue "more aggressive measures." At 8:30 a.m. the neurosurgeon performed an anterior cervical diskectomy and fusion of the C3 &C4 vertebrae, to reduce the compression on the cord from the bulging disk inside Hannah's neck. Despite the risks of such an operation we felt confident that this was the right plan of action.

During the surgery I felt strongly the urging of God. An overwhelming determination to connect with Him was upon me. I was shocked that He was leading me to lay face down in the neuro-surgery waiting room and worship Him. Not caring who was in the room I bellowed out to Him my praise and complete surrender. 

At one moment I felt like Jesus Himself walked through the waiting room, over me, and into the operating room. Maybe an angel? But a kingdom messenger for sure! Immediate peace came over me and I knew in an instant that she would be all right. I began to laugh aloud with joy and release of peace. I am sure the people in that waiting room were asking themselves "Who is that crazy man on the floor?!"

Hannah was indeed doing great, just as I had felt during that precious time of prayer and worship. 

Scripture says that Satan comes to steal, kill and destroy. He especially tries to steal immediately after the truth has been planted in our hearts. Hannah had just overcome one of the enemy's greatest attacks, so he came with another.

We faced a horrible situation with a male nurse the very moment the medical staff brought her back to the ICU. While I was forced to wait for entrance back into her room, this man was disturbing my wife with his out of place comments and lack of care for Hannah's needs. When I got into the room I could feel the thick tension that was created by his presence. Hannah was in complete agony. I knew that he was not the right influence on my wife, and this fact was solidified by the look on my wife's face. I could see her extreme pain and helplessness. The enemy had sent a distraction.

Not knowing the correct course of action I tried to ignore the ugly situation and attend to Hannah, just as I had done for the last few days. At this point he got confrontational with me! I do not consider myself a confrontational person, but I can tell you that at that moment I was not the man you wanted to mess with. We eventually handled his removal in a diplomatic manner, and peace was again restored to her recovery room. The newly assigned nurse attended to Hannah's painful state.

The enemy tried to take away from the victory of the surgery with an assignment of strife and division, but we caught it and took authority in the spirit. Seeing from that experience that I needed to diligently defend my wife's well being I began the habit of fasting periodic meals throughout the day in order maintain a position of strength for battle.
A rare moment in those early days when Hannah had her beautiful smile

No comments:

Post a Comment